Applying for the Graduate Program
All applicants must apply electronically through the Graduate College using the online system. Applications are then sent to the Department and are considered by the Department's Graduate Admission Committee as they are received.
The application deadline for summer admission is March 1. The fall admission deadline is May 15. The application deadline for spring admission is November 15. Priority is given to applicants who apply by February 1 for fall admission and October 15 for spring admission. We encourage early application.
Each applicant must submit the following materials to the Graduate College. Applicants will be able to electronically upload most application materials but transcripts will need to be sent separately.
• Go to the Graduate College programs website and begin completing the Texas State Graduate College application.
• Pay application fee.
• Send one official transcript from each college or university you attended to the Texas State Graduate College:
Texas State University
The Graduate College
601 University Dr.
San Marcos, TX 78666-4684
• Submit three Letters of Recommendation and one Resume to the Texas State Graduate College via the Graduate Admissions Document Upload. Please note: These same letters and resume can be used to apply for a Graduate Assistantship with the Department of Communication Studies.
• Applicants must complete a 500-700 word statement of purpose that addresses the following questions:
- Which area(s) of communication studies are you most interested in pursuing and why?
- Why did you select the M.A. in Communication Studies at Texas State?
- How does your academic background prepare you for graduate study in the Department of Communication Studies at Texas State?
- What are your plans after completing the M.A. degree and how do you plan to apply your degree?
The statement of purpose will be evaluated on the applicant's ability to demonstrate correct composition, grammar, and writing style. Provide a complete and well-developed response and explain and justify your answers to the four questions. The statement of purpose should be uploaded to the Graduate College Upload System.
Important things to consider:
Applicants must have maintained at least a 3.0 GPA in their last 60 hours of coursework.
The Department does not require the GRE for admission to our program and the Admission Committee seldom considers the exam scores. However, an applicant's scores may be useful additional support for admission if some other factors are not as strong and if the applicant desires to apply to other programs after their MA.
There are several scholarships and fellowships available to graduate students. See the Graduate College website for information on Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships and information on the special Texas State Graduate Merit Fellowship awarded to new graduate students.
Graduate Instructional Assistantships also provide financial support for graduate students enrolled full time. More information about assistantships and how to apply can be found here.
To be considered for graduate instructional assistantships and graduate scholarships, applicants must have their graduate college application, assistantship application, scholarship applications, and supporting materials submitted by the priority deadlines of February 1 for Summer and Fall admission and October 15 for Spring admission.
Applying for the Graduate Certificate in Corporate Communication & Training
The Department of Communication Studies offers a Graduate Certificate in Corporate Communication & Training to provide graduate-level instruction in organizational communication, communication training and development, and communication principles and strategies for contemporary organizations. This is a 9-hour certificate program that may be taken as a freestanding certificate or as a part of a Master's or Doctoral program.
Applicants for this program must apply using the online system. Applicants who are applying to our Master's program who would also like to complete this certificate must apply for both the graduate program and certificate program. The admission criteria for the Graduate Certificate in Corporate Communication and Training are the same as the criteria for applying for the M.A. degree in Communication Studies.
In addition to submitting your application online applicants should also submit a 500-word purpose statement addressing the following questions:
Why are you seeking the Graduate Certificate in Corporate Communication and Training?
How does your academic background prepare you for the certificate (such as previous coursework in communication and/or experience as a trainer)?
What are your plans after completing the Graduate Certificate in Corporate Communication and Training and how do you plan to apply to this certificate?