The COMM Lab
Important Update – Please read this before scheduling an appointment below
Due to current conditions, the COMM Lab is now seeing students exclusively online. This will be done through a free software program called Zoom.
Please follow these steps:
Before your appointment:
1. Download the Zoom program to your desktop or laptop
2. Create your free account
The day of your appointment:
1. Open your Texas State email right before your appointment time
2. You will receive an email from the COMM Lab inviting you to “join a meeting”
3. Simply click on (or copy and paste) the link provided into your internet browser
4. Click “Open zoom.us” (this step may be optional depending on your browser settings)
5. Click “Join with Video”
6. A live coach will appear on screen and explain the appointment procedure
COMM Lab coaches work one-on-one with undergraduate and graduate students to practice delivering presentations for classes, 3MT and academic conferences. The lab also offers personalized instruction to students experiencing communication apprehension or "stage fright". Each 30 minute appointment will include one-on-one instruction with a trained presentation coach. A digital copy of presentations delivered during coaching sessions will be available for later viewing, or to share with a professor for evaluation and feedback.
1. Make an appointment online (see "Schedule an Appointment" below).
2. Prepare your presentation and any visuals you will use before coming to the
Lab. Coaches primarily assist with delivery, not writing.
3. Come to the Lab and deliver your presentation. Your performance will be
4. Review the presentation with your COMM Lab coach to receive feedback and polish your delivery.
5. If you require accommodations due to a disability in order to participate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours in advance of the event.
The COMM Lab is equipped with a computer and projector for use in delivering oral presentations. If you would like to practice with a Powerpoint, a DVD, or other media, please indicate "Yes" when setting an appointment. Bring with you the information on a flash drive, data CD or DVD to your appointment.
To cancel your appointment, check the confirmation email you received. You will read "To cancel this booking, click this link:" Click the link and follow the instructions.
Please note that due to high demand and schedule availability, students who are five minutes late or more will have their appointment time given to another student and will need to reschedule.